About the Obama Foundation
At the Obama Foundation, we are guided by a core belief: that ordinary people working together can change history. Our mission is to inspire those people to take action, empower them to change their world for the better, and connect them so they can achieve more together than they can alone.
We were founded by community organizers, so when we seek change, we do it by bringing people together.
That approach begins at home, on the South Side of Chicago, where we are building the Obama Presidential Center. The Center represents a historic opportunity for Chicago: a chance to build a world-class museum and public gathering space that celebrates our nation’s first African American President and First Lady, steps away from where he began his career, where she was raised, and where—together—they made their home.
But that approach extends to all our work, whether it’s holding leadership training sessions in communities throughout the U.S., bringing local leaders together in countries around the world, working to support the global education of girls, or ensuring young men of color have pathways to opportunity.
As President Obama has said, “we cannot solve the challenges of our time unless we solve them together.” So join us.
For more information, please visit www.obama.org.
Purpose of the Role
In this role, you will be responsible for maintaining and updating the web and related content experiences of the Obama Foundation, including our main property — Obama.org. Your focus will be on creating engaging experiences for both new and returning audiences, and contributing to scaling the Foundation’s mission of inspiring, empowering, and connecting people to change their world.
As the Foundation’s Website Coordinator, you will be the Product and Technology team’s point of contact for any website additions and updates, working with cross-functional stakeholders such as our Creative and Communications, Global Programs, and Development teams to make content changes to the website and funnel requests for new features and functionality to the larger Product and Technology team. You will become an expert of our content management system and content model, supporting teams in achieving their audience goals for our web and future native mobile channels.
The Website Coordinator will report to the Director of Product Management and be a member of our larger Product and Technology team.
Core Job Responsibilities
- Working with cross-functional teams across the organization to prioritize, execute and achieve goals for our website
- Working in the organization’s CMS (Content Management System) to build web pages and experiences in alignment with Foundation design and brand principles
- Actively monitoring obama.org in collaboration with cross-functional stakeholders to identity bugs/defects, site issues, and other gaps/areas of improvement
- Keeping content onsite refreshed and up to date based on current organizational priorities and events
- Creating and evangelizing a process for the management of website update requests
- As the main liaison for content related web requests, fielding questions from cross-functional stakeholders and contractors on how to execute website updates, and funneling those questions to additional stakeholders as needed
- Maintaining a backlog of site content updates and changes
- Identifying trends for website needs and expectations, and funneling those requirements to the Product and Technology team as roadmap inputs
Key Deliverables / Outcomes
- Owning edits and maintenance of the majority of the Foundation’s web content, specifically content-driven experiences and web pages, in alignment with the organization’s design and branding principles
- Creation and management of an end-to-end process for submitting and tracking web content requests and funneling them as appropriate to other members of the Product and Technology team
- Establishing a presence as the cross-functional liaison for content related web requests across the organization
- Is the known expert of the organization’s CMS, training and providing resources and support to others on its use
- Establishing standards and processes for the website, in collaboration with cross-functional teams, for items such as UX, audience engagement, key conversion metrics, SEO and web accessibility considerations
- Creating a backlog and beginning to implement a steady stream of A/B tests to optimize audience engagement and conversion, resulting in site changes and potential recommendations for the product roadmap
- Maintaining high quality standards across the site by identifying bugs/defects, issues such as outdated content, broken links, etc., and working with the larger team to identify and address
- 2-3 years of experience in website management, coordination, digital marketing, and virtual-first events; with a demonstrated track record of maintaining highly trafficked and visible web experiences
- Fluent in Content Management and other relevant/similar systems — past experience with Contentful preferred
- Experience with information architecture, WCAG, SEO, and A/B testing strategies and implementations
- Familiarity with agile software development and lean UX processes
- Solid technical understanding of current web technologies — specifically, experience working across web and an understanding of HTML/CSS
- Clear and confident communicator, with a proven ability to build effective partnerships at all levels of the organization, cross-functionally, and across geographic locations and backgrounds; builds trust quickly
- Exceptional problem-solving skills with a tendency to be creative and solution-oriented; thrives in a scrappy, fast-paced, and mission-oriented environment with a culture of open feedback and critique
- Passion and commitment to inclusive and accessible design and familiarity with building experiences that meet digital accessibility standards
Apply at www.obama.org/careers.