The Zooniverse team at the Adler Planetarium is seeking a developer to build mobile apps for www.zooniverse.org (github.com/zooniverse). Zooniverse is the world’s largest platform for the distributed analysis of scientific data through citizen science. We enable over 1.6 million registered volunteers to participate in 72 projects across the disciplines (from astronomy to zoology) in partnership with universities and research institutions around the world. As a Zooniverse developer, you’ll work with our team of 20 talented and friendly developers, designer, and researchers, including our Oxford Zooniverse team in the UK.
We have recently secured a large grant, part of which is dedicated to building a mobile experience for Zooniverse. This is a greenfield project in which the new developer joining our team will have the opportunity to shape our mobile strategy.
Who you are:
- You’re passionate about building really cool and purposeful mobile apps
- You want to be an active participant in Zooniverse strategic planning, including technology choices
- You’re interested in working in an inclusive environment. We strongly value the diversity we have in our development team and leadership
- You’re interested in being in an environment that values work-life balance. For example, our normal work week is 35-hours Monday-Friday
Bonus points if you have experience working with
- Web application frameworks (like Ruby on Rails, Django, etc.)
- Git and Github (or other version control system)
- Writing and maintaining automated test suites for code bases
- Data querying and visualization
- RESTful JSON APIs
- Full-time, grant-funded position available immediately for an initial 24 months, with opportunity for extension
- $55,000-60,000 annual salary
- Comprehensive benefits package
- Work trips to our Zooniverse office in Oxford, England
- On average, one conference travel funded each year
- Choice and provision of equipment
- Flexible work schedule
- Free entrance to local Chicago area museums and cultural institutions
For consideration, please provide a cover letter and resume here.