Click HERE to apply.
The Zooniverse team at the Adler Planetarium is seeking a front-end developer to build web apps and infrastructure for www.zooniverse.org (github.com/zooniverse). Zooniverse is a leading platform for the distributed analysis of scientific data through citizen science. We enable over 1.6 million registered volunteers to participate in over 50 active projects across the disciplines (from astronomy to zoology) in partnership with hundreds of researchers at universities and research institutions around the world.
As a Zooniverse developer, you’ll work with our team of 20 talented and friendly developers, designer, and in-house researchers, including our Zooniverse Oxford team in the UK, to build unique, intuitive, and user-friendly web apps on our cutting-edge platform.
- You’re passionate about building really cool and purposeful stuff for the web
- You want to be an active participant in Zooniverse strategic planning, including technology choices
- You’re interested in working in an inclusive environment – we strongly value the diversity we have in our development team and leadership
- You’re interested in being in an environment that values work-life balance. For example, our average work week is 35-hours Monday-Friday
Bonus points if you have experience with:
- Web application frameworks (like Ruby on Rails, Django, etc.)
- Git and Github (or other version control system)
- Data querying and visualization
- Building and maintaining backend APIs
- RESTful JSON APIs
- Writing and maintaining automated test suites for code bases
- Full-time position available immediately for 12 months, with opportunity for extension
- $55,000-58,000 annual salary
- Comprehensive benefits package
- Work trips to our Zooniverse office in Oxford, England
- On average, one conference each year
- Choice and provision of equipment
- Flexible work schedule
- Free entrance to local Chicago area museums and cultural institutions
Click HERE to apply. For consideration, please provide a cover letter and resume.
The Adler Planetarium is dedicated to complying with its obligations as an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Our recruiting and hiring procedures are free of discrimination based on race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, covered veteran status, including disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, other protected veterans, and Armed Forces service medal veterans or any protected group status as defined by law.